3.11.2013

South Dakota in the news

The story about the new South Dakota law allowing teachers and school employees to be armed while at work finally started making the national rounds (NYTimes article with comments here). I say 'finally' because it's been on the local NPR news for what feels like the past month. This is what happens when you live in the capital where these things are being decided.

I will say that I don't think this law is the most fantastic idea, but it is not mandating the use of firearms by teachers as some are saying. It's entirely up to each school district in the state whether or not they want to train and arm their employees. On my drive home today, I heard that the Sioux Falls school district is not planning on using the law. So it might be on the books, but I don't think the school districts are rushing out to buy guns for their teachers.

One of the comments on the NYTimes article from a more liberal South Dakotan said something along the lines of 'as a rule, people in South Dakota don't care what anyone else thinks of them,' and it seems to be true. South Dakotans could prove me wrong, and vote out every state legislator that voted this bill into law.

1 comment:

  1. So you're telling me that, while they continue to cut funding for every freakin' school district IN THE US, these bozos have elected to have districts--already strapped for cash for doing menial and useless things like teaching math and reading to children--would now have districts take remaining funds to train and arm teachers on how to shoot people?! I joke about wanting to get tasers for the kids at my schools, but I'm pretty sure PA isn't going to have SCASD run out and buy me one. Christ.

    ReplyDelete