3.04.2013

We made bread!

I'm not on Pinterest, but occasionally a pin will show up in my Facebook feed or on Twitter and I'll get curious. This time, it was a pin for something completely doable (thanks, Dee)!

After a trip to Wal-Mart (don't judge me - there aren't a lot of shopping options in this town), I had everything I needed to make no-knead bread (really, I was just missing the yeast).

My trust enameled cast iron pot. You pre-heat this in the oven and then plop in the bread dough.
The finished product!
The bread is really good. Sometimes when I make things from the internet it doesn't really go as planned (I'm looking at you, Pioneer Woman vodka sauce aka the Red Russian), but this bread is awesome. And easy.

I found the recipe here. We knocked the baking temperature down to 400-425 because our oven runs HOT. The next time we make this, I'm only going to use 1.25 tsp of salt. I used one of the tips from the comments, and put the dough on a piece of parchment paper, and then put that into the heated pot. It worked and was way easier than trying to manhandle the dough. I also made the mistake of mixing up the dough last night, and then had to deal with the oven and all that this morning while I was getting ready for work. Next time, I'll mix the dough up in the morning and then bake it when I get home.

If you're so inclined, you should definitely try this recipe. We're going to take full advantage of the fact that this apartment is very warm (like 75 degrees warm), and experiment with this recipe instead of buying boring sandwich bread.

There are a few slices of boring bread left for the geese. I'll take pictures.

2 comments:

  1. MMMMhh. I'm imagining how good this must have smelled while baking. How come your apartment is so warm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't really have any control over the heat, except for opening the windows. It did get a bit cooler since the new management company took over. I think there's a thermostat for the whole building that's set at 70.

    ReplyDelete